Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Entry 3: And We Stay

"Crib for pencils matchbooks
splinters of trees in my apron
restructured trunks all over

the place My desk once an oak
its rings now blocked
angles of legs and grooves

Paper I write on past
maple or pine so many
limbs gone sapless

Time has tucked in
arranged days waking
sweeping feeding the cat

washing a plate as moonlight
wants reading poems as
the week unfolds

then folds again
Morning gasses
I can't recall numbers

count back to zero stunned
That I came to be born
The whole night is shrinking

trunks and twigs
kindling to ash the fabric
of sky taken in Seams

hold only so long then
fray frazzle dangle us
all in the dark

when I fall
what pocket
will cradle me?"

This passage from the book is one of the 33 poems "written" by the main character Emily Beam at the end of a chapter.  This poem is one of the last ones written in the book and comes near the very end. While writing this poem Emily was standing in Emily Dickinsons old home where she wrote her poems. Before this Emily had talked about how she felt a connection with Emily Dickinson and maybe believed in reincarnation. While there Emily seems to feel a much stronger connection to Emily Dickinson and writes this poem.  I think this well help hook readers in partially because the poetry is very beautiful and helps show the writers graceful style of writing and because the content of the poem while reading into it is very intriguing.

No comments:

Post a Comment